Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Laptop Returned, New (Antique?) Car

So, I got my laptop back. For $280 they replaced the motherboard ($900 to replace individually) the CD drive (another $100) the keyboard and mouse pad (another $80sh) they upgraded my harddrive by 20gb (another $100) and they gave me one of the older Matte Screens (another $500-$900), which is what i wanted when i first bought the laptop. And the polished it. They don't even sell macbooks with matte screens anymore. They have more accurate colors. So that will be good for photography.

Anyways. I am pretty happy with my laptop, its like having an entirely new computer.

In other news, I went and bought a car. That was an ordeal in itself. I bought another Datsun/Nissan. It is a 1986 300zx Turbo. Doesn't have any rust on the body. The underside is fairly good as well. It is aesthetically in far better condition than my 280zx was. He lowered the price from $800 to $550 when I haggled with him. It has a broken bolt on one of the exhaust manifolds (which makes it sound like a lawn mower) and some of the electronics dont work. Not much work, suspension is in great condition, body, its all peachy. The money I saved should cover for the problems, because I was expecting $800... Or so I thought...


It is old enough in the state i bought it in, for it not to need a title. So i figure "oh okay.. well I'll just need to pay a bit more to the dmv" So, I get a bill of sale from the guy. There's no previous registration in the last handful of owners because it needs to be repaired. So, naturally theres no license plates. So, I think, "well i see people without plates driving all the time."

To make a long story short, Police-Towing-96miles and im lucky because they didnt give me a ticket or impound it. But, it cost a starving college student $515 in towing. So I am indebted to my now best friend out here about $650 (ATM crisis - can only pull out a certain amount of money per day), which im suppose to pay off by thanksgiving. I think I can do that.

However, That still doesnt mean I can register the car. Theres no Title and no Registration so Massachusetts is like, "well... where did you get the car?" So, I have to get some type of paperwork saying its from New Hampshire like i say it is. Apparently the best best way to do that for me is to get a notarized statement from the man I bought it from that says "i dont have the title because its old enough not to need one and I didnt get one when i bought it. It hasnt been registered because it cant pass inspection in its current condition." and then I need proof that he lives in New Hampshire, as well as a bill of sale. CA would have registered it by now, you cant even do lien sales out here unless you're a mechanic and have a auto shop that someone leaves a car on.

So, yeah I will get a picture of the car when I can. It also needs the clutch to be bled to shift normally, you have to match rpm currently. Which is challenging for me because it doesnt have a tachometer.. because its digital.. and it has electronics issues.. When i drove it I didnt grind any gears.. so its not too bad.

No comments: